Streaming media is about sending video or audio content over the Internet and played immediately, rather than being saved to a hard disk into a computer.
With streaming media, a regular online user does not have to wait to download a file in order to play it. Because the media is sent in a continuous stream of data it can play as it arrives. That’s why users can pause, rewind or fast-forward a file, just as they could with a downloaded file (a particular case is when the content is being streamed live).
Here are some advantages of streaming media:
– Users can take advantage of interactive applications like video search and personalized play lists.
– Companies can monitor what visitors are watching and how long they are watching it.
– Media creators have more control over their intellectual property because the file is not stored on the viewer’s computer.
– In a live broadcast, the video signal is converted into a compressed digital signal and transmitted from a web server as multicast, sending a single file to multiple users at the same time.
– Media players can be part of a browser, a plug-in, a separate program, or a dedicated device, such as an iPod. Frequently, video files come with embedded players.
Streaming media technologies have improved significantly in the latest years, however, the quality of streamed content is still dependent upon the user’s connection speed.
The integration of streaming video services into our devices continues at a lightning speed. Televisions, tablets, and smartphones are just the beginning of the incorporation of media files into our electronic devices.
Streaming services are becoming the primary source of house entertainment. Below you’ll find a great infographic that shows some surprising facts about streaming media.
Enjoy and don’t forget to “Pin It” if you like it…
Streaming Media and Services Infographic
Special thanks to CloudStorageFinder for this infographic.
SEO and digital marketing specialist, I bring expertise in driving online visibility and optimizing organic search rankings. Leveraging my skills in keyword research, on-page optimization, content marketing, link building, and AI tools, I have consistently delivered measurable results across diverse industries.