Business thank you card messages are among the most unused marketing strategies nowadays. That’s because so many times we found it to be very hard to put strong emotions into words.
Whatever the purpose of your business thank you card messages, everyone wants to be appreciated – so my advice is to say it the right way, by being absolutely sincere, rather than seeming as if you are just saying it out of obligation.
Sending a thank you card message to a business contact or customer must become part of your established offline or online marketing plan.
According to a study by Emotion, thanking people makes them more likely to continue a relationship – which leads to more opportunities for you. Besides, showing gratitude is free and ends up being good for you, as well! The truth is, a thank you message is almost never inappropriate.
When To Send Business Thank You Card Messages
Contrary to the major opinion, thank you card messages can be sent at any time, but here are some common times that people send them more often:
- After a meeting – after an important meeting, thank the key players. Big ideas were exchanged and time was spent – and that deserves recognition.
- After events – you often meet new people at events, so thank them for sharing information with you. This can be a small but important step to start a new business link.
- After an interview – thank the person who interviewed you, it can make or break the deal. Without it, your employer may think you don’t pay attention to details.
- After a referral – if someone refers a new client or customer to you, take time to send a great thank you note. This will encourage that person to continue to refer people to you.
- After setting a deal – say to your joint venture partner something like “It was a pleasure to work with you” or “your advice proved invaluable in pursuing my business goals“. This helps to strengthen a positive relationship and implies an interest in continuing that relationship.
- During the (different) holidays – the holidays are the best time to thank people for working together.
Some other good moments when you can send messages:
- 4th of July Thank You Card – or other national days if you have partners outside of your country.
- Advice Thank You Card – use a unique thank you note that fully expresses your appreciation.
- Baby Gift Thank You Card
- Bar Mitzvah & Bat Mitzvah Thank You Card – or other days if you have partners of different religions and beliefs.
- Bereavement Thank You Card – thank friends, family, and neighbors, and let them know you appreciated their thoughtfulness.
- Birthday Gift Thank You Card
- Boss Thank You Card – something that will be much appreciated.
- Dinner Thank You Card – always nice to follow up a few days later with a warm thank you note.
- Donation Thank You Card – follow up whenever a donation has been received of goods, services, money, or time.
- Employee Farewell Thank You Card
- Employee Job Well Done Thank You Card
- Father’s/Mother’s Day Thank You Card
- Friendship Thank You Card
- Free eCards Online – email is by far the quickest way to send thank you notes to family and friends whom you see often.
- Free Job Interview Thank You Card – important to send out a thank you letter. Follow up with a strong final impression.
- Get Well Thank You Card
- Graduation Thank You Card
- House Sitting/ Pet Sitting Thank You Card – send out a nice thank you card to show your gratitude for their time and job.
- House Warming Gift Thank You Card
- Out of the Blue Card – these are the best kinds of thank you notes… totally out of the blue!
- Teacher Thank You Card
- Volunteer Thank You Card – let volunteers know just how much they are appreciated.
- Wording for Hospitality Thank You Card
What Every Business Thank You Card Message Needs
Start with a greeting
Seems to be the hardest part – how to start? With a salutation, of course! Make sure to use the recipient’s FIRST name to make the note more personal.
- Hi Bruce,
- Dear Bruce,
- Hello Bruce,
- Dear Mr. and Mrs. Smith, (If you are writing to two people, use both names in your salutation; or Dear Adele and John NAME)
- Dear Dr. Belucci or Dear Reverend Browne (standard way to open a social business letter with title and name)
Add your thank you message
Don’t screw it up here, thanking is the main purpose of your card message. Try to be genuine, honest, and specific – no silly, funny stuff here.
- Thank you for helping me out with our ………….. project. Your kind support made it happen.
- Thank you for being there to talk about …………. Your insights and advice made me decide to start …………….
- Thank you for your advice and for your generosity. Without it, I wouldn’t know where to start with ………………….
Inject a personal touch
You are not a robot so you need to add a personal touch to your thank you message. The best is to show that you remember details about the recipient’s life (or what they like to do, etcetera).
- I hope to see you at a ………….. game this month. I’ll let you know if I have tickets!
- Take good care of yourself and your shoulder. Hope you’re up and walking pretty soon.
- Enjoy the sunshine in Miami – wish we could share a beer together at the beach.
- Good luck working on your new ……… project – sounds exciting and I know you’ll do a great job.
- Patty and I are planning a party in December and since you love us so much our beefsteak, I would love it if you would come.
Fine-tune with a strong closing
Now it’s time to close with a greeting that feels comfortable to you. Choose one from below…
- Always and truly,
- Always in my thoughts,
- Best Wishes,
- Beyond grateful,
- Feeling spoiled,
- God bless,
- God bless you,
- God bless you now and always,
- I’m humbled and grateful,
- I’m touched beyond words,
- Keep in touch,
- Keep the faith,
- Keep smiling,
- Lots of love,
- Love always,
- Love and thanks,
- My heart is still smiling.
- Much love to you,
- My heart just keeps thanking you,
- Sending you all my love,
- Still thinking of you,
- Sometimes the simplest things mean the most,
- Thank you for caring,
- Thanks again for yesterday,
- Thanks for understanding,
- Thinking of you,
- Thank you for being my angel,
- Thanks again,
- Thank you,
- Unabashedly yours,
- Unconditionally yours,
- We will treasure the gift forever,
- With all good wishes,
- With appreciation,
- With gratitude,
- With love,
- With all my love,
- With hope and love,
- With love and anticipation,
- Warmest thanks,
- You knocked me off my feet!
- You’re a blessing to me.
- You’re the best.
- You’re in my prayers,
- You’re in my thoughts,
- Your friend,
- Yours truly,
- Yours faithfully,
- Yours sincerely,
- Yours regardless,
- Yours ’til the cat meows,
- Yours most sincerely,
- Yours always,
- Your thoughtfulness is a gift I will always treasure.
Things to check
ALWAYS proofread and review your note. Depending on the thank you note, the finished message should be short and relatively simple (about half of a type-written page).
Check also that your tone remains consistent throughout. Even minor errors can send a negative impression to the addressee – just the opposite of your main thank you message!
And never spell out the titles: Mr., Ms., Mrs., and Dr. Do spell out these titles and similar ones: Professor, Dean, Sister, Rabbi, Senator, Governor, Captain, Admiral, Judge.
Ideas of Words to Use
Common Questions About Thank You Card Messages
· How much time is this going to take me?
Depending on your writing style, it will take no more than 2-5 minutes per note. After all, you do not write a book!
· How do I find people’s addresses?
You can send an individual thank you note via their company address, and it’s easy to find company addresses on their websites.
· How long should a thank you note be?
You don’t need to write a lengthy message – say what you have to say on simple words. Short is always sweet – keep it around 50 words.
· Do I need branded stationery?
The thank you message is what counts. Branded stationery is a nice touch, but not necessary.
· What if I have too many people to thank?
If you’re overwhelmed, use a handwritten letter service. You can also hire a freelancer or a virtual assistant to complete this task for you.
· Handwritten, typed, or emailed thank you card messages?
Most people still prefer handwritten thank-you notes. Because of this, if someone has done something exceptional for you, send a physical handwritten card via snail mail. Typed messages with a clean handwritten signature are also OK.
Sometimes, email can give the impression that you’re rushing to say thanks, and you’re doing it from obligation. So for that reason, when in doubt, I recommend handwritten. For close friends and family who knew you well, you can send thank you messages via email.
· What if I have messy handwriting?
If you think your writing is too hard to read, ask someone else to write the note on your behalf. A little “dirty” trick but works every time.
40 Of The Best Business Thank You Phrases To Use In Your Messages
Below are 40 best thank you phrases to use in your notes – some are common, and some are a little goofy. Used them to inspire your own unique message…
- Allow me to express my sincerest gratitude for this opportunity you have given me. Thank you so much. I couldn’t have managed without your help.
- Congratulations on manufacturing such fine products, and thank you for your prompt services. What would we have done without you?
- I’m so blessed to have you in my business. I appreciate your work, time, and efforts to help us out. I’m incredibly grateful and thanks so much for making it happen!
- I would like to express my gratitude for all that you have done. I am most grateful for your support. Thank you for taking the time to help us, I really do appreciate it.
- I really appreciate all the hard work you’ve done to help me. I have learned so much, and it’s all thanks to you!
- It was a pleasure to be a part of your company’s event. Thank you for inviting me, and sharing your ideas.
- I had so much fun learning with you. Your lessons were very insightful and interactive, so thank you. You’re the best mentor ever!
- I will always remember how you helped our sales grow. We greatly value your trust and confidence. Thank you for this wonderful opportunity.
- I want to thank you for the excellent service I received at the XXXXX this week. I loved every minute of my stay.
- I would like to express my deep gratitude that you have written a letter of recommendation. If there is any way I can return the kindness, please do not hesitate to ask me. In the meantime, I hope you will let me take you to lunch.
- I sincerely thank you for accepting my invitation. I look forward to this meeting and expect a long and rewarding association to follow.
- Just wanted to thank you for the raise. I enjoy working at XXXXX and truly appreciate your confidence and support.
- My heartfelt thanks to you for opening your business office to me during my visit. Thank you so much. You’re the best!
- Many thanks and gratitude for your marketing advice. I’m very lucky to know you and feel incredibly blessed. It means a lot to our business.
- Our company prides itself on customer service, and I look forward to being in touch to answer any questions or just see that all is going smoothly. Thank you for your order.
- Our congratulations go to the sales team for the last quarter. You are setting a high standard for others to follow. We are fortunate to have you on board and look forward to more success in the future.
- Please accept this coupon for 20% off your next order as a thank you. We truly appreciate your business and the business referral you send us.
- Thank you for coming today and looking at our latest project. It’s been such a wonderful day, and we really appreciate you sharing it with us.
- Thank you for inviting us to your beautiful office! You are a very gracious host and we had a magical time. Warm Wishes.
- Thank you for being so patient, and helping us improve! Mentors like you are hard to find, and I’m eternally grateful for everything you’ve taught us.
- Thank you for the wonderful ideas you brought during our business meeting. Our hearts have been deeply touched by your kindness.
- Thank you. We greatly value your trust and confidence and sincerely appreciate your loyalty to our business.
- Thank you so much for your professional and effective help. I won’t hesitate to recommend you to anyone who needs assistance with xxxxx.
- Thank you for taking the time to write me a letter of recommendation. I could not have asked for nicer comments. I hope I can reciprocate the favor.
- Thank you for allowing me to offer you our finest service. We are confident that you will be more than satisfied.
- Thank you for considering us for your purchasing needs. Please let us know how we could better serve you in the future.
- Thank you for your week of working double time on my behalf. Be sure to let me know when you are ready for your big vacation. I will be first in line to cover your desk.
- Thank you for your business, your trust, and your confidence. It is our pleasure to work with you.
- The information I requested arrived today. It was just what I needed. Thank you. I genuinely appreciate your help. If you would like, I will be happy to share the results of my research.
- Words cannot describe how grateful we are for your generous advice about how to increase our sales by 7%. How thoughtful of you!
- What a wonderful business dinner, thank you ever so much! We had a lovely time. I’m so grateful to have a partner like you.
- What a great party! You really know how to make good times happen. Thank you for letting me be part of it.
- We know you have a world full of choices. Thank you for selecting our business.
- We sincerely appreciate your business. Thank you for the opportunity to work with you.
- We appreciate you spreading the word about your positive experience with us. We are honored to have clients like you.
- We would like to express our gratitude for your excellent coverage of our grand opening. The positive exposure you gave our firm on the local news introduced the community to our products and services. Thanks for helping us on such a good start.
- Your office and people were so warm, welcoming, and delightful. I felt so pampered.
- You are a rare kind of generous. I’m having a hard time putting my gratitude into words but I hope you know how much I appreciate all your help. Thank you so much.
- You are very important to us. Thank you for the trust you have placed in us. Please call us anytime with any questions or concerns.
- You are a blessing from God. I don’t know any other way to explain how much your help means. I don’t know what I would do without you. Thank you.
- You certainly will be missed after next Monday. We realize that you have made our work easier because you anticipated our needs. Congratulations on a job well done and a retirement well deserved.
- You are very important to us and thank you for the trust you have placed in us. Your loyalty as a customer is greatly appreciated.
Sample Thank You Card Messages
Just wanted to send a quick note to say thanks for visiting us at the store the other day. Glad we were able to help you find the perfect outfit for your holiday party. You can never go wrong with a classic dress and a fun necklace.
Hope you had fun at the holiday party. Have a great week!
Thanks again for shopping with us,
P.S. I know you mentioned you loved the skirt in the window. Thought you should know it’s on special sale this weekend!
Thanks for being so helpful in our recent conversations. We’re looking forward to our Business Week promotion, and you’ve shown that XXXXX is the right company to partner with. Your advice and support have been integral to this process.
Thanks again, and Go Penguins!
Thank you for taking the time to speak with me. I know how busy you are so I can’t thank you enough for your time and guidance. I really enjoyed our conversation and appreciate your honesty with me. I’ve made some changes to my business plan based on your recommendations.
Also, thanks so much for making that introduction! You were right. Gina is a wealth of knowledge – she gave me some great suggestions for groups to join.
Dear Mr. Hobbs,
Thank you for the $30 graduation gift. I plan on using that money to help buy books in the fall. I’ll be home from school over Thanksgiving break and hope to see you then.
Dear Dr. Sommer,
Thank you for taking the time to interview me for the xxxxxx position. It was exciting and interesting to learn more about your organization and the xxxxxx role. I am sincerely interested in the position and I hope to hear from you soon – but either way, I truly enjoyed our meeting.
Dear Bruce and Adele,
Thank you for adding to the joy of our wedding with your warm wishes and thoughtful gift. We love the candlesticks and how they look on our hall table. We plan on being in XXX (City/Town) in August and I would love to catch up then.
Steve and Eleanor Harper
Dear Mr. Sommer,
Thank you so much for volunteering at the XXX Event this Thanksgiving. Your support enabled us to cook up quite a feast and serve many thankful people. Not all the tasks were glamorous but everything you did was appreciated, by staff, other volunteers, and diners alike.
Best wishes for a happy holiday season,
Conclusion: Write thank you messages from the bottom of your heart!
When you’re writing thank you card messages that are born out of your gratitude, you can’t go wrong. No matter what’s the moment you choose to send your message, write it from the heart.
When you do so, your business partners, clients or customers, family members, and friends will notice – and they’ll appreciate it. Hopefully, you are inspired after reading this blog post and you’ll pick a pen and write a memorable thank you card message.
SEO and digital marketing specialist, I bring expertise in driving online visibility and optimizing organic search rankings. Leveraging my skills in keyword research, on-page optimization, content marketing, link building, and AI tools, I have consistently delivered measurable results across diverse industries.