Now comes some real digging in and working on list-building. Don’t expect your list to build itself (duh!!). It’s your job to get yourself out there and find as many targeted and interested subscribers as you possibly can.
Here are my best suggestions:
1. Web site Opt-In Form – this is an oldie but a goodie. Put a form on your website. It’s not enough to put a form on your homepage saying ‘Sign Up to Our Newsletter’, though.
You need to present your visitors with an irresistible offer, something they’ll have no problem handing over their closely guarded email address for.
This method can show you immediate results if you’re getting enough traffic. If your traffic is low to nil, then keep reading for other great ideas to build your list. Examples are a free report, an audio or video, or a workbook. Make it valuable – this is no time to cut corners!
2. Guest Blogging – bloggers are always looking for great, unique content. You can take advantage of this need by becoming a guest blogger. Target your blog to lead your reader to sign up for your email list. To do this you’ll want the information in the blog post to be highly relevant to your email list. Deliver great information and value but leave them wanting to take the next logical step, which of course will be to sign up for your list.
3. Joint Ventures – start making friends with other website owners. Networking with other business owners is a smart move. You’ll develop relationships that can turn into win-win partnerships.
4. Advertising – finding highly targeted websites to promote your email list on can be a great way to build a list fast. Make sure you be careful with this method as you must have a very relevant offer that visitors will respond to.
The ways to build your list are only limited by your own imagination. You will be the best person to determine how to get the most qualified subscribers onto your list.
Think about where the people you want to reach hang out. Do they visit chat forums to talk about their topic, read a certain kind of blog, visit a certain news website, etcetera? Your common sense and knowledge of your industry are going to lead you to the best ways. Keep trying new methods, testing the results, and moving forward.
The Rules and Laws Around Collecting Email Addresses
Before you start building your email list, you should know about the rules and laws that govern this industry. First off, if you are in the United States, you need to get familiar with the Can-Spam Act. Even if you are in a country that isn’t governed by this law, it’s a good idea to follow it anyway to be safe.
If caught abusing email and in non-compliance, with the Can-Spam Act you could be subject to penalties up to $16,000.
Here is a summary of the requirements under this act:
1. Don’t Use False or Misleading Header Information – the From, To, and Reply-To information must be accurate and not misleading in any way.
2. Do Not Use Deceptive Subjects – it is not acceptable to try to trick readers into opening emails by using deceptive email subjects.
3. Identify The Message as an Ad – you must notify your subscribers that they are reading an ad.
4. Include Valid Physical Location – you must identify your location within every email you send out.
5. Tell Subscribers How to Opt-Out of Emails – in every email there must be clear directions on how to unsubscribe from your email list.
6. You Must Honor Opt-Out Requests Promptly – you must honor opt-out requests within 10 business days.
7. Monitor Your Services – it’s not OK to hire someone to help you and expect the responsibility of complying with the act transfers to them. You must be aware of what is being done on your behalf as you could be responsible for it as well.
The great thing about Aweber is that it helps you do many of these requirements automatically. For example, your physical location is added automatically to the bottom of each email.
You also have directions on how to opt out of your Aweber email lists automatically added to the bottom of each email. Finally, Aweber unsubscribes people immediately upon request, so no worries about getting yourself in trouble with the 10-day removal time frame.
In most cases, you’ll have nothing to fear, especially if you use Aweber. Just make sure you know, understand, and follow the laws.
SEO and digital marketing specialist, I bring expertise in driving online visibility and optimizing organic search rankings. Leveraging my skills in keyword research, on-page optimization, content marketing, link building, and AI tools, I have consistently delivered measurable results across diverse industries.